Sunday, September 5, 2010

Artist-Celine Clanet


My work this year will deal with the 400 year old idea that "no man is an island" (John Doone), but man still tries to be his own island. I want to explore emotional, psychological, and physical self-sufficiency. Celine Clanet is important to my investigations because she  journeys to the Arctic tundra to observe a remote and independent Sami tribe. She documents loneliness and solitude as a way of living and the importance of mans relationship to his territory. I am also interested in the aesthetics of Clanet"s photos. She uses vast landscapes, precise specific focal points and a carefully considered color palette-all of which I hope to achieve in my own photographs. 

Celine Clanet is a French born Photographer and graphic designer. She studied photography at three institutions in France and one in Belgium. She has exhibited in Europe, China, Argentina, Norway, and several other countries but had her first exhibit in the US this year. Her Humble Arts Foundation bio says:
"Her work deals with human territory, memory and identity issues. For her, making each series is an excuse to experience the world differently, to question it, or to record the parts of it that are threatening to fade away for ever. She regularly drives to Northern Europe in her beloved «Fearless Reindeer» Peugeot, up to the Sami village of Máze, where she lives for several weeks or months, among her Sami friends, in the tundra."
(source - http://humbleartsfoundation.org/soloshow/pastshows/celineclanet/index.html)


The following Images are from her series "Máze"

Spring Lights Caressing Maze Tundra (2009)

Simun-Ailo Watching His Heard (2005)

Bloody End (2005)


Jon's Heard (2005)
Simon-Ailo's Heard (2005)
The Hutte (2005



In an interview, the artist says this about one of her Sami subjects:
"When I think about her, I think of loneliness, a serene one"
(source: http://vervephoto.wordpress.com/2010/03/05/celine-clanet/)
This quote is how I would like people to feel about my own images, a conflict or dichotomy of emotions, between what should be and what is.

"Photography fascinated me. It could make things last forever and make dead people talk again. It made me understand that your life only exists because you remember it."

"The relationship between photography, identity, death and memory is something that never left my thoughts since then. It tints all my works, even if it's in a very light color sometimes."
(source:http://nymphoto.blogspot.com/2009/07/conversation-with-celine-clanet.html)
- Celine Clanet, on her relationship with photographyGallery 

Gallery

Interview 1

Interview 2



Artist

Morning Sun Over Tundra (2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment