Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Idea-Happiness

I have realized that my concept may not be as specific as sustaining oneself as an individual 'island', but also about happiness and sadness as a result. I am interested in trying to show the struggle for happiness as an individual visually in my photographs. This project is very heavily influenced in psychology, and through art making I hope to explore whether people can make their own happiness. I am really glad I found this article because it helped me open up and explore other aspects of my concept. I still hope to further refine my concept. 


"A distinction is made between life satisfaction and happiness; the former is more seen as the outcome of an evaluation process including material and social aspirations and achievements, the latter as an outcome of positive experiences, particularly close personal relationships."


"It is hypothesized that dense and good basic social relations, occupational involvement and success, sociocultural (religious and altruistic) orientations and participation are conducive to happiness and life satisfaction."

bibliography:
Haller, Max, and Marcus Hadler. "How Social Relations and Structures Can Produce Happiness and Unhappiness: An International Comparative Analysis." Social Indicators Research 75.2 (2006): 169-217.

This article investigates the effect of our social relationships on our life satisfaction and happiness. It examines different socio-economic areas and countries to get a more comprehensive study. The authors hypothesize that we need social relationships to influence our happiness. 



(both) Jill Greenberg from "Glass Ceiling" series 

No comments:

Post a Comment