Monday, November 1, 2010

Zoe Beloff Lecture Questions/Response

You work with a great amount of different artists and mediums, how important/influential are other people on your concepts, and when working with other people and so many different projects are you concerned with retaining certain important conceptual elements and themes throughout your oeuvre?



You are often referencing historical events or people from the past in your work. What connection do you feel to these past events that are sometimes far before your time, or why do you feel the need to make work that brings these events to the present and represent them in a modern way? Do you make personal connections with these figures from the past?


Response:


      Both of my questions were answered within the first ten minutes of the lecture. This was one of the most informative artist lectures I have ever been too. Zoe Beloff gave the lecture in the style of a teacher, explaining every element and its history before actually talking about the art work its self. Little did I know, that the explanations and histories were essential to the art because they were the art. I was so stunned after learning all that information was fabricated, but I was stunned in a great way.
     I wasn't so sure if I was going to be able to relate to this artist or not. Her website had so much information on it about so many things that I thought the art wouldn't be accessible or comprehendible, but Zoe presented her lecture in a clear and interesting way. I am kind of confused about what was true and what was exaggerated, but the way she delivered her information was an art in its self. I admire the scope of her artistic career and her use of so many technical mediums. Beloff's concept of the unconscious has expanded in to so many different forms that there was a lot to cover. Her work with dreams and fictional characters was the most interesting to me. It was funny when someone asked her if she kept her own dream diary and she said yes, but we didn't know at the time the character was her all along, so it was always her dream journal.
     I wish we could have watched the videos at the end for longer. They were captivating. She didn't explain what they were or what part of them were her own creation until after we watched them, but I enjoyed having a pure surprised reaction when watching. Her use of old home movie clips and adding her own meaning to them was smart and insightful. Even though her use of theatrics and the moving image was not really something I would normally be in to, I enjoyed this lecture and felt  it was a privilege to learn from an artist of Zoe Beloff's caliber. 

No comments:

Post a Comment