Friday, October 29, 2010

Idea-Attachment

I've realized that what I want to talk about more than loneliness is attachment. I started thinking about this really broad concept at the end of last semester but didn't develop it in to a more specific concept. The relationship between attachment and possession, and need vs. attachment. It may be far-fetched but I have been questioning the meanings of words like 'Uncle' or 'Best Friend' and why those titles have such significant positions and importance attached to them. Are we just attached to people with these tites because we feel we are supposed to be? What does it all mean? Or why is it when your Auntie Muriel who  you may have met twice dies, bosses and teachers will excuse you, but when your most beloved childhood dog dies its not really an excuse for anything. Is it just because of the status of titles an the attachment we are supposed to feel in relation to them? It may be sort of a tangent, but this is the first time I am acknowledging these thoughts in relation to this project and now I am seeing how I could incorporate them. 
     Issues with attachment have been effecting me very heavily this past week and my project has become so in sync with my life that every time I feel the emotions I address in my concept, I immediately recognize it and end up thinking of new ideas for the studio every time I have a bad night. For my images and source this week I have included a link below to a show on PBS called "This Emotional Life" where a different emotion was profiled each week for 5 shows. I loved it when it first aired in january and wanted to share the clips on the website, especially chapter 2: You're Friends Can Make You Happy, and chapter 5: The Lonliness alarm. (I couldn't figure out a way to re-post them on this blog) 

http://www.pbs.org/thisemotionallife/perspective/connection


Quotes:

"Loneliness is associated with a variety of mental and physical traits. 
If you feel disconnected to others, it manifests itself as a low level threat feeling." 

"We need others to survive and prosper. The reason we have the conveniences and resources we have isn't because each of us stands as individuals, its because we exist as a collective."
-both from Chapter 5:The Loneliness Alarm 




Bibliography:
"This Emotional Life: Connection"

"The Emmy Award-winning team of Vulcan Productions and the producers of NOVA have created a three-part series that explores improving our social relationships, learning to cope with depression and anxiety, and becoming more positive, resilient individuals.The series was produced by Kunhardt McGee Productions.
Harvard psychologist and best-selling author of Stumbling on Happiness, Professor Daniel Gilbert, talks with experts about the latest science on what makes us “tick” and how we can find support for the emotional issues we all face.
Each episode weaves together the compelling personal stories of ordinary people and the latest scientific research along with revealing comments from celebrities like Chevy Chase, Larry David, Alanis Morissette, Robert Kennedy, Jr., and Richard Gere." (source: http://www.pbs.org/thisemotionallife/series)



No comments:

Post a Comment