Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Idea-Self

Self

"...bodily self-consciousness has three major components: self-location (where in physical space we experience ourselves to be located); first-person perspective (our primary viewpoint of the outside world from a place within the body); and self-identification (the degree to which we feel our bodies are part of us)."
"Like most people, you probably have a strong sense that your conscious self is housed within your physical body, regardless of your surroundings.
But sometimes this spatial self-location goes awry. During a so-called out- of-body experience for example, one's self seems to be transported outside the physical body into a surreal perspective—some people even believe they are viewing their bodies from above, as though their true selves were floating."
-both from Me, Myself and My Stranger: Understanding the Neuroscience of Selfhood 
The idea of 'self' is an obviously important part of my art making. Most all of my art has been, and is, about self identity. The article I have cited was so interesting to read  because it brought to my attention an element of self I haven't been thinking about - our sense of self connected (or unconnected) to the location of our body. I have been presenting landscapes to relay my concept of being isolated or connected with other people, but I have been questioning this choice a lot as it is an unusual method for myself. This article made me realize that I might be making a smart connection between my body and its space. The idea of being somewhere else mentally and physically is so intriguing because it would allow us to be introspective at the same time as viewing ourselves from the outside in. There are times when I feel I have achieved this sense of disconnected self, when my thoughts were so overpowering or disorienting that I became detached from myself. I believe my work starts to show a little bit of that feeling and it might be something I want to explore more as it relates to my overall concept. 
Jabr, Ferris. "Me, Myself and My Stranger: Understanding the Neuroscience of Selfhood." Scientific American. Nature America Inc., 21 Sept. 2010. Web. 22 Sept. 2010.

This article examines the science behind the body's perception of self. It gives striking examples of people who suffer from epileptic experiences that cause them to become physically detached from their bodies, but mentally aware. It comes forward with what looks like proof of out-of-body experiences. Jabr suggests that our sense of 'self' does not have to be connected with our physical consciousness. 



Shannon McGill, Untitled Twins, Archival inkjet print 11x13in

No comments:

Post a Comment