Monday, October 4, 2010

Julika Rudelius-Lecture Questions and Response


Julia Rudelius, still from Train, 2001


I am very much looking forward to seeing Julika's lecture tomorrow!


Questions:
You are very honest in your descriptions of your video pieces about which parts are staged and who is an actor or the real thing. I am interested in this honesty and if you have ever thought about being less so with your audience. I wonder how these would change if I believed every part to be 'real.'

Your work explores a vast array of social issues from race, to money to power to love. While these all could be considered universal issues, do you feel your personal connection or opinion is evident to the viewer? Is it your intention to show individual emotion? 


Response:
I was lucky, Julika answered both of my questions in her lecture. My expectations were high for her work and I wasn't disappointed. I was surprised to hear her talk about her 'obsession with truth' and then hear her explain that her videos were prompted and staged. I am kind of confused as to why she spent so long scouting for just the right people to represent her ideas, when they all just became essentially actors, and she could have gotten someone who merely looked the part. I would think an obsession with truth would deter her from directing so much. With that said, I wasn't disappointed by this contradiction, I was intrigued when Rudelius said 'real truth doesn't exist' and explained using 'straight documentary' was an over rated concept. her subject matter interested me more than a lot of the lecture artists I have seen here. The use of video as artists main medium is often hard to digest for me and I end up frustrated because I can't connect, this was not so with Julika Rudelius's work. Her process was so interesting to hear about, she really has to immerse herself in the lives of her subjects, try to think like them, live like them, and that seems like such a great career. It seems very brave to make work about the 'other,' about something she is not and wants to understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment