Sunday, October 3, 2010

Artist-Eric Percher

"Work considers the limitations we accept in order to attain success; the restriction inherent to a life in an office cube, within a numbered building, on a gridded city"

"The project does not intend to repudiate individual pursuits of success, but to illuminate the tensions and sacrifices required to achieve success"  (source: http://humbleartsfoundation.org/soloshow/eric_percher/stmt_bio.html)

I'm relating to Eric Percher's Work series because they are almost the opposite of what I'm currently doing, but has similar underlying themes. I am interested in the human need to be self sufficient, that includes life ambitions such as building a career and starting a family, ect. Percher explores the 'Every man is an Island' side of my concept by showing individuals trying to sustain themselves in the workplace but not always finding happiness. He presents the clustered claustrophobic environment and I am currently trying to present the opposite, sterilizing the natural landscape. I originally thought about possibly showing my concept in a similar manner to Percher, showing myself or my subject immersed in an overwhelming environment, but have decided to go a different direction for now. 

'Eric Percher is a fine art photographer working in New York City. The work series is a semi-autobiographical response to his seven-year experience in the financial offices and cubicals of Midtown, Manhattan. His goal is to penetrate the buildings of Midtown to examine the impact of organizational and architectural structures on those that labor inside' (ericpercher.com)







interview

artist

gallery


No comments:

Post a Comment