Sunday, October 10, 2010

Artist-Ruben Brulat

Ruben Brulat's work has both conceptual and aesthetic ties to my own. I admire his images for their visual fearlessness and open but isolated message. The artist work is driven by his fascination with humans as a whole and their wide range of emotions, behavior, and modes of living. He has stated that he feels a need to make these photographs and answer his own questions about himself and humanity. I relate to this feeling and feel I am using my series as a learning tool myself. His compositions are very controlled, like my own, and minimal with emphasis on very specific important information, which I am very drawn to. 

Brulat lives and works from Paris, France. He is 21 years old and only started working in photography two years ago. For such a new artist he has been featured in important publications and exhibited in several countries, solo and group. He has established a strong career for himself despite his newness and already has made his work in to books. 

"Among the hostile rocks, the snow and the ice, barely inclined to welcome life, there is a body without identity, totally naked and deprived. Will he succeed to merge in this set, in this infinity of accidents? Will he know how to be similar to the animal that reigns on its own territory? This desperate attempt to transform this being into a body, for it to be accepted or re-accepted by a matrix completely foreign to the human substance, is very moving. This is when he is nothing but a species, a man from thousands of years ago, forced to know himself and to adapt himself to the outside conditions which are nothing but threats."
-Dan Nisand, on the artist's series 'Primates'

"Photography is just a tool. What i have an intense relationship with is my convictions and the things I need to talk about. For some time I have this energy and two years ago i found ways to channel it in photographs that explained a point of view. The technical growth only shortens the distance between what I have in the head and its limits. " 
-the artist, on his process


From the series 'Primates' December 2009

From the series 'Primates' December 2009

From the series 'Primates' December 2009

From the series 'Immaculate' September 2009

From the series 'Immaculate' September 2009
(I could find almost no information on the size or format of these images)

artist

interviews

gallery


P.S. Special thanks to Mark Davis for sharing this artist with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment