Sunday, January 23, 2011

Artist-Maia Flore

When I first saw these photographs they gave me the same feeling that I strive to create in my own images. There is a presence to each series that asks the viewer to stop and wonder. They don't quite make sense, but they are still oddly relatable. I see some of the themes I like to work with, like space, distance, longing, independence, solitude, and helplessness present in Flore's series. I am also very attracted to their strong feminine presence, they touch somewhat on classic feminine role like 'the damsel in distress' which I feel will start to become important to my work. 


Maia Flore grew up in the south of France and recently graduated from the Ecole des Gobelins last year. She currently lives in Paris. 


Quotes

"My inspiration are things that I actually want to experience. I live my world vicariously though my photos"

"I did not want to disconnect from the dream and never realize it."
-The artist on her  series Sleep Elevations 

(No dimensions found)


From the series Sleep Elevations 2010

From the series Sleep Elevations 2010

From the series Sleep Elevations 2010

From the series Sleep Elevations 2010


I was really excited to see this series on the artists website. They are composites, but it reminds me of the work I have done with my twin sister and I. Her aesthetics are very close to my personal taste.

From the series Mia Och Flore 

From the series Mia Och Flore 

From the series Mia Och Flore 

No comments:

Post a Comment