Monday, January 31, 2011

Denise Markonish-Lecture Questions/Response

Do you feel the need to create your own art while working as a curator? If so, do your own artistic tastes/aesthetics influence the type of art work you chose for exhibits?


How did you land such an amazing position in the arts? What steps did you take to rise up to your level of success? What is it like to work 'behind the scenes' in the art world as opposed to being an artist?


Lecture Response:
     It was so great to see someone from the museum industry speak. I have been thinking a lot about working in a museum, I'm taking a great museum studies class now and have enjoyed the ones I have taken in the past. I love hearing about the logistics behind running a museum and the selection of art works. Denise Markonish seemed to love her job and gave her lecture with enthusiasm. I wished she would have gone over a bit of her history and how she got to the position she has now, but I understand that there was only a short amount of time. I also would have like to know more about her interest in Utopias and why that seemed to be a reoccurring theme in her exhibits. It was great to see pictures of such an impressive museum that I might never get a chance to see, but her lecture peaked my interest. The MASS MoCA was unlike other museums I have been to because of its lack of a permanent collection and mostly traveling exhibits. I was also really surprised to see that a lot of the artists commissioned special pieces to be part of the exhibits, I thought museums were usually a home for works created in the past. Denise Markonish really made me think about my own future in an exciting way. Going to museums as a child had a huge impact on my aspiration to become an artist and I've always been so intrigued by them. I have definitely developed a personal goal to become involved with the museum field.

No comments:

Post a Comment