Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Idea-Separation

Taking a look at all of the images I have created up to this point, I see a need to discuss the sense of separation present in my work. The white 'vacuum' space and the physical space I create between my images conveys a sense of distance, whether emotional or physical. I feel like I am representing separation in a negative way because that's how I often feel about it. I started this work as a way to answer some questions about myself. Through my research, I have found answers which help me to communicate these feelings to others. The work is at a stage where I feel the need to emphasis this feeling of separation between people, myself, and others, by representing it more physically and conceptually in the work. I have already come up with several ideas to manipulate the presentation of my prints.

I was interested in this article because I saw similarities between the connections made in the article and connections I made in my work. I photographed my childhood comfort object 'Puppy' and included the images of the object with the images of people. I have been curious about this connection and the relationship between our connections in childhood, and our attachments as adults. 

Quotes
"When needs are met either inconsistently or in an angry fashion by parents, children come to expect that they are not worthy of care. When needs are met consistently, children come to expect they are worthy of care and they can count on others in times of need, which is an element of secure attachment."

"Insecurity manifests itself as negative social behavior."

"More needs to be known about how attachment relationships are related to children's thoughts and feelings about themselves and their interactions with social partners within those relationships."


Bibliography
Clark, Sharon, PhD, Symons, Douglas, PhD. Representations of Attachment Relationships, the Self, and Significant Others in Middle Childhood. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry; 2009, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p316-321, 6p, 2 Charts


This study examines the effects of positive and negative attachment and relationships among children and their caregivers. It suggests that these relationships have a direct effect on the individuals self worth and effect his or her relationships with others. 




Shannon McGill, Both from "No One Wants to be an Island" series, 2010



No comments:

Post a Comment